Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Surviving the Typhoon

I woke up from my nap...to a level 8 typhoon raging in Hong Kong.

Buses stopped running. Classes ended early. The canteens closed.

How was I supposed to eat dinner?

I've never been in a typhoon before, and I only had a couple apples, some crackers, and coconut bread. Luckily, some local girls invited me to eat with them and we made noodles with lettuce, sausages, and dumplings. It's amazing how good simple food will taste when you really have no other option.

Outside, winds shook up Hong Kong. The strong winds are cool and are actually a nice relief from the humidity we've been having lately. They were so strong I could lean against them, and they almost blew me away (cheu jao). The sky is dark and grim, and there is virtually no activity going on outside. The only sounds are of the trees being tossed and knocked around.


I was scared because the typhoon sounds so powerful, but around me, no one is scared. The locals are used to it; typhoons come three to four times a year and it's no big deal to local Hong Kong people. Me, I thought at least one thing in my hostel was going to break.


1 comment:

RCToyHouse said...

o no!!! good thing you are still alive!

Followers

About Me

Originally from Canada. Transplanted to LA. Lived and worked in Kentucky, Toronto, now Kelowna and who knows where next! Let the adventures begin!